Rock Island Trail & Depot
WHY IS THE PROJECT IMPORTANT
The Rock Island Trail is a 144-mile stretch of Missouri’s old Rock Island Train Line. This train line is being redeveloped as a multi-use trail. This can be a distinct new asset to communities that are adjacent to the trails. Eldon has the opportunity to further connect and build this asset (already finished working on the Trail Depot).
OVERALL PROJECT GOAL
- Identify and pursue grants that can help further develop the trails.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS TO- DATE
- The team submitted a Rock Island Trail Grant application for $350,000.
- Made it to the second round with the grant, and now has funding for about half of the trails.
- Waiting for the risk assessment to get back to the team, and is feeling confident about the chances to get the ARPA Funding.
- The team is starting to plan the different places where horseback riding and biking can be.
- The team thinks that this process will take 4-5 years to finish this development.
GOALS FOR 2021
– Finish the Depot and make it a destination in the community.
-Host an open house and ribbon cutting January 2022.
-Display artifacts from the Rock Island railroad inside the Depot on a rotational basis.
– A 25 year lease between the City and the Chamber has been signed.
– Building permit has been approved.
– $92,000 in donations towards the proje
MAJOR WINS TO- DATE
NEXT 4 WEEKS PLAN
– Landscape design has been completed.
-Earned a $500 landscape grant from Three Rivers Electric Cooperative
-Flooring is being laid at this time
-Exterior posts and siding is being ordered