Outreach and Youth Engagement
We need help with:
- Do you have marketing expertise or social media knowledge? We’d love your help spreading our outreach efforts!
- Do you regularly attend community events? We’d love to get photos or stories to help spread the developments in Ash Grove.
- We are seeking individuals who have expertise in identifying and developing grant applications.
- Are you a person who is passionate about youth programming and the development of Ash Grove? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. We need your help!
WHY IS THE PROJECT IMPORTANT
Local citizens sometimes lack knowledge of the direction where their community is heading. This lack of understanding causes dis-engagement and, at worst, mistrust. Therefore, it is incumbent upon local leaders to proactively share details about community strategies, local development priorities, and progress with local citizens.
The GRO Ash Grove team will use several tools and techniques: social media, in-person events, and newsletters to tackle this opportunity.
To create a prosperous future, Ash Grove leaders seek the perspectives of our youth and collectively work to build an inspiring community. Ash Grove will establish spaces and programs for the community’s youth.
OVERALL PROJECT GOAL
- Engage and inform 3.5% of our population.
- Establish an outreach intern.
- Engage with the local newspaper to see if GRO can get a monthly column.
- Identify funding through FEMA for a new community center.
- Explore opportunities for a ‘Painting with a twist’ concept.
- Engage with the school district, explore after-school programs, and support the GRIP program.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS TO- DATE
- The GRO team has been working over the last year to conduct various outreach efforts: establishing a Facebook page, local community events, etc.
- The GRO team has conducted very successful events across the community, including:
- The team conducted a very successful Christmas on the Square event.
- An Easter Egg Hunt fundraiser was able to raise $745 for their GRO fund.
- The GRO Team has launched a yard sign program to showcase the citizens who have helped Ash Grove stay clean.
- The GRO Team Conducted an Easter Egg Hunt fundraiser (raised $745).
- A community Earthday clean-up in which they cleaned city property and streets and then were able to paint buildings on the main road. They painted these buildings with recycled paint, which they were able to have funded by an ARPA (American Rescue Plan Funding.)
- The team helped conduct a very successful Car Show on the main street.
- The GRO team completed a very successful video explaining their plans for GRO and why Ash Grove is in GRO.
- The team has started a GRO Ash Grove newsletter and plans on picking it back up in August 2022. In August, the GRO team also plans on taking on a GRO intern from the local high school to help continue their Outreach efforts.
- After conducting the GRO Voice of the Community Survey in November 2021, the team determined that places for the youth to spend time are needed in Ash Grove.
- GRO leader Sadie Ferwalt has started an after-school writing program with high school students who are interested in writing. Students within this program meet weekly on Thursday evenings to extend their writing skills using writing prompts.
- Sadie and Miles (Our GRO Community Engagement Lead) will continue to connect to see if we can better market the new program.
- The GRO team coordinates with the high-school GRIP program to experiment with a few youth engagement efforts.
- The new Chamber will be helping with Ash Grove’s “Sparks in the Parks” event, which will be the first annual 4th of July event and parade.
- Miles check-in with Sadie
- The Christmas Spectacular:
- Throughout the decade, event for the Christmas spectacular has tons of coverage.
- Several groups are coming together to set this event up. The team is looking to get sponsorship for all the buildings to be lit up together. All proceeds would be donated to a single organization in the community.
GOALS FOR 2021
MAJOR WINS TO- DATE
– GRO Local Monthly Newsletter.
– Newsletter sent out.
– ProjectRise BBQ (Info session) (to be in June 12).
– Historic Walkthrough.
– Intern identified.