Does your small business feel like they are fighting a war alone? Your community can help a small business continue to flourish and prosper. Here are few suggestions on how you can help them:
(1) Once a month, explore one new local business: While COVID created havoc for our small businesses, there was a surprising benefit that many small communities also saw. Communities shifted their shopping habits closer to home. There is an array of value to shopping local, including: local jobs, local taxes, local wealth retention, reduction in environmental footprint, and much more.
(2) Start a Dialogue: Small business owners, more often than not, are proud of what they do and why they do it. As a local citizen, take a moment to understand the person behind the business. Here are some questions that just about every business owner would love to answer:
- How is your business doing? How are you impacted by Covid?
- What inspired you to open you business?
- Do you see yourself, growing your business? If so How?
- What is the one thing our community can help you?
(3) Support your local Chamber of Commerce: Local chambers of commerce are wonderful places for businesses and communities to convene. Call your local chamber leader and ask them how the community can be helpful in seeing more businesses prosper in the community. If the community does not yet have a chamber of commerce, then community leaders should help create a business round table.